What is BESCA?
Authorised in 2006, Building Engineering Services Competence Assessment Ltd (BESCA) is the leading independent certification body delivering assessments nationally to businesses and individuals wishing to self-certify and notify work under the Building Regulations; and meeting the standards of the Energy Act 2010.
BESCA was established by the Building Engineering Services Association (BESA) formally the Heating and Ventilating Contractors’ Association (HVCA). BESCA operates as a wholly owned subsidiary offering a highly cost-effective audit process with increased efficiencies in the control of work processes.
It is BESCA’s Quality Policy to provide our members with specialised services matching their requirements and expectations. BESCA aims to deliver an efficient certification and assessment service, as we continuously work towards improving our schemes and our customer services.
BESCA maintains a high standard through operating in accordance with the requirements of ISO17065. We ensure member satisfaction by providing a clearly structured customer complaint and feedback process, which is reviewed for effectiveness during regular audits. BESCA is dedicated to responding positively to all feedback to ensure customer satisfaction. More on BESCA’s complaints procedures found here.
BESCA’s management team are committed to ensuring impartiality and it’s scheme is protected by an independent and impartial BESCA Schemes Board, made up of external industry representatives selected for their expertise and specialist knowledge of the sector to ensure that all BESCA’s certification activities are undertaken impartially and it's policies and procedures are non-discriminatory. BESCA is advised by a Technical Standards Working Group tasked with ensuring that BESCA works with the most up-to-date and relevant sector information and operates to the highest technical standards.
BESCA publishes an annual Scheme Report.
Who is BESCA for?
BESCA is for individuals and businesses working within the building and engineering services sector who wish to:
- Notify or self-certify work to the Local Authority Building Control under the Building Regulations
- B&ES members who wish to access the expert services offered by BESCA
- Professionals wishing to add value to their operations through compliance with recognised industry standards.
Membership is not conditional upon the size of the company applying or membership of any association or group.
Why use BESCA?
BESCA provides a range of services including:
- Inclusion on the BESCA website public listing of members, accessible by the public seeking contractors to undertake work.
- A Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Log Book and information sheet
- Certificate of Membership and Van Stickers
- Cost-effective application and audit processes
- Efficient reliable ways to notify work under the Building Regulations
- SSiP (Safety Schemes in Procurement) registration for pre-qualification schemes
- Member's only pages with additional resources for download
- Access to Government funding initiatives.
- Dedicated Helpdesk
Find out more on the requirements for Registration with BESCA